Monday, December 10, 2018

How does this apply to today's time?

Let’s jump into today’s time. I shared my thought process on not learning the full story when it came to history because I feel like that affects us in today’s time as well. What I’m trying to get at here is that we don’t know the full story about anything when you think about it. Very rarely do we ask ourselves what’s happening outside of where we’re living, let alone what’s happening outside of our own lives. It sounds selfish, but it really isn’t. We have our own lives to worry about too, and we don’t have time to save the world, right? Wrong. No, we literally cannot save the entire world, but we can start it off. How I like to think about it is like a band. In marching band, you have a drum major who gives the band the first downbeat, and then the band starts to play together. There might be solos here and there, but the band always has to come together to play the music beautifully. In any type of movement, it takes the downbeat of one person to make the whole community come together and play. In order to get the full story of what’s happening in the world around us, we have to go out there and see it for ourselves. Establish connections with people within our own communities and learn where they come from. Whether they come from the other side of Telegraph or if they come from Syria, they have a different community than you do. They have a different part of the story to share. No two areas are alike.


Related image
According to CBS news’s 11 poorest cities list, Detroit ranked #1 (America’s 11 poorest cities). I didn’t only stop here however. I checked multiple lists, and even though Detroit wasn’t number one on all of them, it was still up there. According to Mlive Michigan news, going off the census data, Detroit ranked #6 on cities with the lowest median household income (See richest, poorest U.S. cities). Before writing this essay, I’ll admit, I didn’t know any of these facts myself. Like mentioned before, I haven’t really been to Detroit all that much growing up. When we would go down there to go to Campus Martius or the riverwalk, my dad would drive through some of the poorer neighborhoods. I would see houses that had windows that were bordered up, some roofs were ripping at the seams, bricks were falling out of the front of the house, some houses even had evidence of burns. Some of the places that need the most help are the ones that are closest to us.


Image result for detroit

Divider courtesy of animal-jam-clans.wikia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment