Monday, December 10, 2018

Reflection

When writing this paper, truthfully, I was kind of stuck on what to write about. I spent a good 10 minutes just staring at the blank paper that would soon be my mind map. But, what kind of got my gears turning was thinking of other classes I’ve taken, not just this one. I’m taking intro to sociology, and I remember during class one day my professor was talking about how even though this generation has social media and so many different outlets that could plug them into different places all around the world and that with the technology and ways of communication that we have today, we are still so clueless. I can’t argue with him though, because as much as we like to deny it, we don’t really know anything that’s happening in the world around us. He basically said that if it’s not happening around us, that we don’t care to find out pretty much. That we’re only concerned with where we are, the people that we know, we’re only concerned with ourselves. Basically, we’re a selfish generation (disclaimer: He didn’t say it this harshly, I’m making him sound harsher than he actually is, but I’m doing this for the point of summarizing). Also, as you saw in my paper, I credited my social justice class last year. I’ll be quite frank, I wasn’t really a fan of that class while I was taking it, but now that I look back on it, it really helped me prepare for this class and for this paper too. I don’t know if I would’ve been able to write the way I do about these topics without that social justice class.

Personally, I was already inspired while I was writing this paper, but honestly I have to say that while I was typing away my ideas, I became even more inspired and more excited for the years to come. I’m excited for my future career, and I’m even more excited to put my plans to inspire others into action. I think I might have even motivated myself even more by writing all of these ideas down. Like they say, you’re more likely to do something if you write it down.

I can safely say that this class had brought a lot of social issues to my attention. Reading Bhutto, Mandela, and Douglass’s stories were truthfully insightful, and especially discussing how these stories contribute to my idea of democracy. Really these stories seemed to bring a new light to my thought process and make me so thankful for the things that I usually take for granted, like education and the right to vote and use my voice. These are things that not everybody gets the opportunity to do, and after this class, I take that more into consideration. Even though I’m constantly complaining about how stressed out I am for finals or how much I dislike going to class sometimes, I’ll always remain thankful that I was given the chance to come to school and learn. Even though when people are voting the lines are so long sometimes and you have to wait for hours sometimes, I still keep in mind how lucky I am that once I turned 18, I was able to vote and have a say in where I want my future to go. Long story short, this class made me reflect more deeply about things I never really gave much thought to before.


 Related image


No comments:

Post a Comment